Ryan is a civil litigator representing clients in medical and other professional liability defense matters, hospital and health care law, and personal injury. He has successfully represented clients in all Rhode Island courts and before the Rhode Island Department of Health.
Ryan consults healthcare institutions on risk management issues and strategy, and has given numerous presentations to physicians and healthcare institutions on various topics, including HIPAA, EMR, and significant legal decisions in Rhode Island and Massachusetts that impact the defense of physicians and healthcare institutions. Ryan has been an invited interviewee for a podcast series related to physicians going through medical malpractice litigation.
- Assisted in obtaining a jury verdict in Providence County Superior Court in favor of an emergency room physician alleged to have failed to diagnose an impending stroke in a patient;
- Assisted in successfully defending ER physician at retrial
- Assisted in obtaining a jury verdict in Providence County Superior Court in favor of obstetrician alleged to have negligently performed a c-section, leading to significant blood loss to the mother
- Successfully argued before the RI Supreme Court persuading it to uphold trial court’s decision denying motion for new trial after jury verdict in favor of obstetrician
- Assisted in obtaining a jury verdict in New London Superior Court in favor of bariatric surgeon alleged to have negligently performed bariatric surgery resulting in death of patient
- Successfully assisted multiple physicians and nurses in obtaining findings of no unprofessional conduct in response to inquiries by the RI Department of Health
- Successfully negotiated favorable resolutions in multiple highly complex medical malpractice and dram shop actions
- Roger Williams University School of Law (J.D.) cum laude, Member of Honors Program, CALI Awards Recipient
- University of Rhode Island (B.A.) magna cum laude
- Rhode Island
- S. District Court, Rhode Island
Ryan served as a law clerk to the Honorable Daniel A. Procacinni from January to April, 2007 in Providence County Superior Court.
- Rhode Island Super Lawyers Rising Star (2013-2018)
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Member, Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Member, Defense Counsel of Rhode Island