Greg represents clients in all aspects of family and probate law in Rhode Island and Massachusetts, including complex divorce disputes that involve:
- Alimony and child support
- Asset division
- Child custody and parenting plans
- Interstate child relocation/removal
- Modification and contempt actions
- Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements
- Paternity actions
- Domestic relations related appeals
In addition, Greg devotes a significant portion of his practice to complex investigation and litigation in the areas of criminal defense, personal injury and contractual disputes. He also represents individuals, trustees, personal representatives, administrators and beneficiaries in probate and estate disputes, including will contests, breach of fiduciary duty claims, removal actions and reformation actions.
- RI Personal Injury: Represented mother and child involved in highway car crash after being cut off by another driver. Successfully negotiated a quick settlement for clients in the amount $126,000.00 without having to file lawsuit.
- RI Federal Criminal Defense – Client charged by Federal Indictment with six (6) felony counts including Conspiracy to Commit Bank Fraud, two (2) counts of Bank Fraud, two (2) counts of Aggravated Identity Theft and False Statement to the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Client was facing up to thirty (30) years in Federal prison and fines in the amount of $1,000,000. After zealous advocacy Client received a sentence of no jail time, two (2) years’ probation and no fines.
- MA Child Custody- Successfully represented Mother in Massachusetts and Rhode Island child custody proceedings to have minor children returned to her custody and possession. Father removed minor child from Massachusetts to Rhode Island without permission from Mother or Court and filed custody proceedings in Rhode Island. Obtained Emergency Order in Massachusetts to have minor child returned to Mother immediately and awarding Mother sole legal and physical custody of child. Obtained dismissal of Father’s complaint in Rhode Island.
- See additional results below.
- Roger Williams University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2013) Honors Program Member and Honors Scholarship recipient; Notes and Comments Editor, Roger Williams University Law Review
- Juniata College (B.A. in Environmental Studies, 2010) Calvert Ellis Scholarship and Fowble Foundation Scholarship recipient
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, Rhode Island
- Five Star Avvo Rating: “Greg was always helpful and kind, even in the most stressful situations. His actions and efforts were were always prompt and as speedy as they could be. I have much to thank him for and would hire him again without hesitation. I will make referrals to him whenever possible.”
- Five Star Avvo Rating: “Highly recommend: It was because of Greg Hoffman that I am in the more favorable position that I am today. Words cannot adequately express how thankful I am to Greg for all that he has done for me and my daughter.”
- Five Star Avvo Rating: “Most accommodating: The level of care that went into my case was honestly surprising, I did not expect it. The professionalism and preparation was simply impressive. Although I have never gone threw anything like this in my life and no one should, I have have to say I think Greg and his team made it as painless as possible.”
- Five Star Avvo Rating: “Greg is the best: Greg delivered the result I desired and informed me of options I was not even aware of. I highly recommend him!”
- Five Star Avvo Rating: “Great representation, very knowledgeable: After consulting with Greg I felt very comfortable and decided to hire him to represent me with a prenuptial agreement. I had a great experience with Greg and undoubtedly would recommend anyone to him.”
- Five Star Avvo Rating: “Phenomenal attorney: Greg did what I honestly didn’t think was possible! We were able to get the maxim amount of time allowed by law for my order of protection. I will forever be grateful that he took my case in such short notice. He did what I would have never been able to do alone. I would refer Gregory N. Hoffman Esq. any day!”
- Five Star Avvo Rating: “Satisfied client: Greg is a capable, persuasive, and professional attorney. His manner and demeanor was both considerate and effective. We would highly recommend Greg should you find yourself in need of an attorney.”
- Five Star Avvo Rating: “Excellent service and very professional: Mr. Hoffman managed to get my case dismissed and always answered the phone when I needed his advice. I would highly recommend his services to anyone that may require it.”
- Five Star Avvo Rating: “Divorce fast and happy: Greg was great! When it comes to getting what you want, he gets the job done.”
- Five Star Avvo Rating: “Divorce case: I highly recommend Greg to anyone who are looking for attorney to represent your case.”
- Five Star Avvo Rating: “Outstanding attorney: Gregory Hoffman is an outstanding attorney, and was extremely helpful with every aspect of my case. He was professional, knowledgeable, and responsive to all correspondence. I highly recommend him without any reservations.”
- RI Criminal Defense- Client was charged with felony larceny of property in Rhode Island Superior Court and faced up to 10 years in jail and up to a $5,000 fine. Obtained dismissal of charge against client.
- RI Child Custody/Relocation- Successful relocation of minor child from Rhode Island to Massachusetts. Mother had primary physical custody of minor child in Rhode Island. After numerous hearings, Father was awarded primary physical custody of minor child and permission to relocate child to Massachusetts.
- RI Criminal Defense – Client was charged with multiple felony drug counts including the unlawful possession of marijuana with the intent to deliver. Obtained dismissal of all charges against client.
- RI Divorce- Successfully represented Rhode Island business owner in divorce proceedings. Obtained Final Judgment in favor of client awarding them 100% interest in corporation and an equitable division of remaining marital assets.
- MA Paternity/Child Support- Successfully represented purported Father in Massachusetts paternity and child support matter. Judgments entered against Father deeming him biological Father of minor child and making him responsible for child support and health insurance obligations. Father learned via paternity test that he was not biological father more than a year after judgments entered against him. Successfully obtained relief from prior Judgments declaring non-paternity and terminating child support and health insurance obligations.
- RI Divorce/Child Custody- Successfully defended Husband against Wife seeking sole custody of minor children and portion of Husband’s interest in family business. Obtained Final Judgment awarding Husband joint custody of minor children and retaining all ownership interest in business.
- RI Divorce/Child Custody- Successfully represented serviceman in United States Armed Forces stationed abroad in divorce proceedings. Obtained Final Judgment awarding him joint custody of minor children and equitable division of marital assets.
- MA Alimony Modification- Successfully represented ex-Wife in Alimony Modification proceedings. Negotiated lump-sum payment of alimony in full satisfaction of arrangement to Wife.
- MA Divorce/Contempt- Successfully litigated on behalf of Wife to obtain Judgment for Civil Contempt against Husband during divorce proceedings. Introduced evidence to Court, cross-examined Husband and presented legal arguments to obtain Judgment awarding Wife significant financial award including award of attorney’s fees and costs.
- “Rhode Island Supreme Court Upholds Pet Visitation Provisions in Marital Settlement Agreement,” by Gregory N. Hoffman and Rui P. Alves (April 23, 2019)
- “Grandparent Visitation in Rhode Island,” by Gregory N. Hoffman and Rui P. Alves (April 9, 2019)
- “Rhode Island DUI Laws, Penalties and Sentencing,” by Gregory N. Hoffman and Rui P. Alves (March 7, 2019)
- “Rhode Island Restraining Orders – Family Court, District Court and Superior Court,” by Gregory N. Hoffman and Rui P. Alves (October 11, 2018)
- “Criminal Law Client Alert: Rhode Island Criminal Expungements and New Revisions to Expungement Laws,” by Gregory N. Hoffman and Rui P. Alves (August 7, 2018)
- “Client Alert: New Tax Bill Repeals Alimony Deduction,” by Gregory N. Hoffman and Rui P. Alves (January 16, 2018)
- “Client Alert: 2017 Revisions to Massachusetts Child Support Guidelines,” by Gregory N. Hoffman and Rui P. Alves (October 5, 2017)
- Up and Coming Lawyer, Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly (2021)
- Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch” in Family Law (2021)
- Professional Excellence in the Law, Rhode Island Monthly (2019-2020)
- Rhode Island Super Lawyers Rising Star (2017-2020)
Greg served as a judicial law clerk for Rhode Island Supreme Court Justice Francis X. Flaherty (2014–2015) and Superior Court Justice Sarah Taft-Carter in the Rhode Island Supreme Court Law Clerk Department (2013–2014). During law school, he served as an extern to Judge Bruce M. Selya of the U.S. Court of Appeal for the First Circuit.
- Secretary, Board of Directors, Blithewold, Inc.
- President and former Vice President, Board of Directors, Roger Williams University School of Law Alumni Association
- Member, Rhode Island Family Court Bench Bar Committee
- Member, The Edward Gallogly Family Law Inns of Court
- Member, American Bar Association Section of Family Law
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)
- Member, Defense Counsel of Rhode Island
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association
Greg enjoys golfing, skiing, reading, going to the beach and is an avid Baltimore Orioles fan.