C. Alexander Chiulli advises individuals, emerging businesses, non-profit organizations, and educational institutions on intellectual property, Internet law, privacy and information law, entrepreneurship, and the First Amendment as well as education law, general liability, employment, contract, and corporate matters. He regularly appears before state and federal courts in Rhode Island and Massachusetts on wide-ranging civil, criminal, appellate, administrative, and domestic matters.
- Successfully defended owner of popular Internet forum against opposition proceeding filed by Monster Energy Company before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Manage the global intellectual property portfolio of an international sports science company, including patents and trademarks.
- Litigated the successful resolution of partnership dispute concerning ownership, relationships, funding, and intellectual property of inaugural food festival.
- Pursued and obtained federal and international trademark rights for numerous businesses in the food, entertainment, education, and software industries.
- Counseled nationally-recognized independent film, including intellectual property rights, corporate law, and contractual matters.
- Negotiated and secured global settlement agreement between competing software companies concerning trademark oppositions in the United States and Australia.
- Formed numerous small businesses and non-profits and counsel on state and federal laws and regulations, licensing, governance, risk assessment, and contracts.
- Advised surgical and technology professionals on intellectual property rights, ownership, royalties, and utilization of confidential and proprietary information.
- Advised charter schools on corporate governance, Open Meetings Act, employment, contracts, statutory interpretation, funding, and litigation.
- Drafted institutional policies on matters concerning the First Amendment, Access to Public Records Act, social media, and the Internet.
- Obtained mortgage discharge from quiet title action in Rhode Island Superior, securing collateral for business loan and entrepreneurial venture.
- Prevailed on administrative appeal of Executive Office of Health and Human Services decision before the Rhode Island Superior Court.
- Drafted successful opposition to administrative appeal in Federal Court regarding interpretation of provisions of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
- Assisted in persuading the Rhode Island Supreme Court to issue favorable decisions concerning the Rhode Island Condominium Act.
- Suffolk University Law School (J.D., Intellectual Property Concentration) Stanley W. Sokoloff Intellectual Property Award; Journal of Health and Biomedical Law
- Fairfield University (B.S. in Business Administration)
- U.S. District Court, Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
- Rhode Island
- “Internet Filtering Legislation” interview regarding Rhode Island’s internet filtering legislation and possible implications, Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly
- “Personnel Practices” article series highlighting legal issues facing Rhode Island employers, Rhode Island Small Business Journal
- “Trademark Tips and Considerations” concerning trademark issues facing new and small business owners, Rhode Island Small Business Journal
- “Practice Pointer” on search and seizure for text messages, Michael Rustad, “Global Internet Law” (West, Hornbook Series), “Global Internet Law” (West, Nutshell Series)
- Best Lawyers Ones to Watch in Intellectual Property Law (2021)
- Rhode Island Super Lawyers Rising Star (2017)
- Professional Excellence in the Law, Rhode Island Monthly (2019-2020)
- “Federal Practice” (Federal Bar Association & Suffolk Law School)
- “Morals, Ethics, Policy, Rules, and Law” (Suffolk Law School)
- “Legal Considerations for Business Owners” (Center for Women & Enterprise)
- “Sick, Injured, Disabled Employee: Now What?” (Navigant Credit Union)
- “Social Media in the Classroom” (Excellence in Education Conference)
Alex served as a judicial law clerk for the Rhode Island Superior Court, assisting the Honorable Sarah Taft-Carter, the Honorable Luis Matos, and the Honorable Brian Van Couyghen. During law school, Alex was a judicial intern for the Rhode Island Superior Court, assisting the Honorable Judith Savage.
- President, Justinian Law Society (2019)
- Board of Directors, Rhode Island Council for the Humanities
- Board of Directors, Rhode Island Center for the Book
- Board of Directors, Justinian Law Society
- Contributor, Suffolk Law School’s Intellectual Property & Entrepreneurship Clinic
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
Alex enjoys binge watching serialized television and playing “Chopped” against himself based on whatever he can find in his kitchen.