An accomplished civil litigator and trial attorney, Angela focuses her practice on medical and professional liability defense. She advises medical professionals, hospitals, medical practices, and other healthcare-related organizations in all stages of the litigation lifecycle. Angela provides skilled representation to health care providers before federal and state courts, administrative agencies, and licensing boards in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. In addition, she routinely consults with hospitals and healthcare practice groups on risk management and patient safety.
Angela also represents students involved in Title IX investigations at local colleges.
Angela has obtained a number of jury trial verdicts in favor of medical professionals:
- Obtained a Rhode Island Superior Court jury verdict dismissing a negligence and battery claim against a hospital. The jury reached its verdict in just four minutes following the 2-day trial.
- Obtained a Massachusetts Superior Court jury verdict dismissing a medical malpractice claim against an obstetrician-gynecologist in a case involving a shoulder dystocia. The jury reached its verdict in less than two hours after an 8-day trial.
- Obtained a Rhode Island Superior Court jury verdict dismissing a medical malpractice wrongful death claim against a gastroenterologist. The jury rendered its verdict less than two hours following a 10-day trial.
- Obtained a Massachusetts Superior Court jury verdict dismissing a medical malpractice claim against an obstetrician-gynecologist. The jury took less than two hours to reach its verdict after a six-day trial.
- Persuaded a Massachusetts Superior Court jury that a nurse practitioner and her medical practice employer provided proper care and treatment to a woman who eventually died of lung cancer. Following an eight-day trial and three hours of deliberation, the jury found that the nurse practitioner and her employer were not negligent and returned a verdict in their favor.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of an obstetrician who allegedly had failed to timely deliver an unborn infant at risk, which the mother claimed resulted in the child’s stillbirth during the 37th week of gestation. However, following a two-week trial in Massachusetts Superior Court, the jury returned its verdict for the physician after only two hours of deliberation.
- Substantially contributed to a team that obtained a jury verdict dismissing a claim against a family physician that he allegedly failed to diagnose prostate cancer.
In an employment law case, she helped to obtain an arbitration award dismissing an age and gender discrimination claim against a major hotel chain. In a premises liability case, Angela obtained a favorable settlement for a major retailer following a contentious mediation.
- Northeastern University School of Law (J.D., 2004)
- Providence College (B.A., cum laude, 2001)
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
Angela regularly provides pro bono services in the areas of Title IX, domestic violence and sexual assault representation.
- “Here’s How to Comply With HIPAA Changes,” Providence Business News, Sept. 1, 2014
- “Rhode Island Supreme Court Upholds $1.5 Million MPL Verdict — Despite Insurance Coverage Jury Instruction,” Inside Medical Liability (Second Quarter 2014)
- Woman to Watch in Legal Services (2019), Providence Business News
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer (2017-2020)
- Professional Excellence in the Law, Rhode Island Monthly (2020)
- Rhode Island Super Lawyer (2015)
- 40 Under Forty Honoree, Providence Business News (2014)
- Rhode Island Super Lawyers Rising Star (2012–2014)
Angela has presented numerous seminars to Rhode Island and Massachusetts health care providers on best practices for transmitting and storing electronic medical records in accordance with HIPAA regulations. She has also been a panelist and lecturer at employment law seminars involving issues of Massachusetts, Rhode Island and federal law. Presentations made by Angela include:
- Social Media and Healthcare Litigation
- Medical Records Law in Massachusetts
- Supervising Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants
- Record Retention in the Digital Age
- EMR Issues, Pitfalls, and Recommendations for Best Practices
- HIPAA Compliance and Protecting E-PHI
- Employment Law Update
- Health Care Reform: What Employers Need to Know
- Risk Management for Nurse Anesthetists
- Employment Law From A to Z In Massachusetts
- Employment Law From A to Z In Massachusetts
In 2004–2005, Ms. Carr served as a law clerk in the Rhode Island Superior Court. During law school, she interned with the Honorable Bruce M. Selya of the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, as well as the Rhode Island Supreme Court.
- Member, Providence College President’s Council
- Secretary, Board of Directors, Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Ocean State
- President, Board of Directors, Providence College Greater Providence Area Alumni Club
- Vice President of the Board of Directors, Defense Counsel of Rhode Island
- Board of Directors, Manton Avenue Project (2014–2017)
- Leadership Rhode Island – Lambda II Class (2015)
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Member, Rhode Island Superior Court Bench Bar Committee
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, American Inns of Court
- Member, Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce
Angela is a devoted fan of the Philadelphia Eagles.