For many years, clients from a broad spectrum of industries have turned to Barton Gilman attorneys for representation in cases involving premises liability. Our clients include several of the nation’s largest retailers with locations in Massachusetts and Rhode Island; commercial and residential property owners; real estate holding companies and trusts; and, hospitals and nursing homes.
Barton Gilman attorneys have successfully defended businesses against claims of liability arising from the sale of alcoholic beverages, worksite accidents , negligent security claims, and alleged exposure to lead paint and toxic substances.
Some recent premises liability successes include:
- Persuading the Massachusetts Appeals Court to uphold summary judgment for a commercial landlord against a worker claiming he was injured on leased property
- Persuading a Massachusetts trial court judge to grant a rare summary judgment in a slip-and-fall case involving a major department store
- Persuading a Massachusetts trial court judge to rule that a movie theatre owner was not deemed to have notice of an alleged slippery floor in its public restroom just by virtue of it normally making a restroom available to patrons
- Defending a landlord at arbitration in a premises liability case involving a fall at an apartment building
- Obtaining a jury verdict for a national movie theater chain in a case alleging a failure to properly illuminate a handrail